[NTG-context] Basic question on Unicode and ConTeXt

Christopher Creutzig christopher at creutzig.de
Fri Jul 22 13:30:08 CEST 2005

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> A1.) prepare the files to be used as a source of transformation from
> "any" character set to utf and prepare a list of synonyms for
> encodings

  In my point of view, that should only be a fallback.  We already have
Iconv in ruby and can, if we know that ISO-8859-2 is a single byte
coding system, simply say

conv = Iconv.new("UTF-16", "ISO-8859-2")
255.times { |i| puts lookup[conv.iconv("%c" % i)] }

to get the whole list, assuming we've filled the lookup hash first.

  As you've said, I'd combine steps A2 and A3, to make ConTeXt run
faster.  If you want, for whatever reason, to use \textellipsis for an
ellipsis (it just looks horribly wrong to me) instead of \dots, you'd
need to invoke the ruby script which generates the regi-* files.

  The whole thing should not require any change at all to ConTeXt
itself, since the regi-* files could look exactly as they do now, just
being generated automatically.  (For the multibyte encodings, the whole
thing gets much more tricky.)

Christopher