[NTG-context] new for french users

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Aug 19 01:54:54 CEST 2005

Hi,

There are a couple of new features in the next version of pdftex. One of
them is the ability to automatically add a kern before punctuation,
which is important for french. So ... we can get rid of active : ; ! and
? characters which is a good thing.

I'll upload a version that supports this. The handling is called
prespacing and the values are experimental. A test could look like:

\definefontsynonym[myfont][Serif][handling=prespacing]
\definefont[whatever][myfont sa 1]
\setupalign[spacing] % nospacing

\whatever look at this: we now have a proper spacing feature and, hurray,
get rid of active punctuation!

but for document wide behaviour one should apply handling at the
typeface level.

You can turn it on/off with the setupalign command (or the align=... k/v
in other commands)

A windows test binary can be found at:

   http://pdftex.sarovar.org/djgpp/

just move the exe and pool file to the right place and make a format.