[NTG-context] footnote twiks

Vit Zyka vit.zyka at seznam.cz
Mon Aug 29 15:13:09 CEST 2005

Hans Hagen Outside wrote:
> Ciro Soto wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need two more twiks for my footnotes:
>> I am using asterisk instead of numbers or letter for the footnotes.
>>

>> Twik 1:
>> My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
>> last word in the sentence.
>> Example:
>> Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
>> will print an asterisk touching the V letter.
>> How do I instruct context to give me some room between the V and the
>> asterisk?
>>
>> Second twik:
>> How to control the distance between the page text and the rule line
>> that separates
>> the footnote and the page text?
>> I tried the "distance=", th
>> e "height="  arguments in the
>> setupfootnotes, but they don't do
>> what I want.
>> thank you
>>

> patch in core-not:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\dolastnotesymbol
>  {\removeunwantedspaces
>   \doifitalicelse\/\donothing % Charles IV \footnote{the fourth}

Just a question: why use 'italic correction' only for it/bi/sl/bs and
not in every time (where is usually = 0pt but not necesserily)? It is
part of font design. We are affraid of bad-designed fonts?

If we do not want to add useless 0pt kern, we can write

   \/\ifdim\lastkern=0pt\unkern\fi

vit

>   \ifdim\lastkern=\notesignal
>     \dodonotesymbol{\kern\noteparameter\c!distance}% gets the font
> right, hack !
>   \fi
>   \nobreak
>   \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!interaction}\v!no
>
> {\dodonotesymbol{\lastnotenumber\domovednote\v!previouspage\v!nextpage}%
>      \ifconditional\pagewisenotes
>        \rawreference\s!fnt{\s!fnt:f:\internalfootreference}{}%
>      \fi}
>     {\gotobox
>
> {\dodonotesymbol{\lastnotenumber\domovednote\v!previouspage\v!nextpage}}%
>        [\s!fnt:t:\internalfootreference]%
>      \rawreference\s!fnt{\s!fnt:f:\internalfootreference}{}}%
>   \globallet\lastnotesymbol\relax}
>
> \protect
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupfootnotes[conversion=set 1]
>
> {Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
> {\sl Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
> {\bs Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
>
> \stoptext

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com