[NTG-context] How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 12:58:42 CEST 2005

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Jilani Khaldi wrote:
> >
> > I just want to know how to have a table in Context with cells which can
> > contain many lines each; something like this:
>
>    \starttabulate[|p(4cm)|p(2cm)|p(2cm)|]
>    \NC Header1                   \NC header2 \NC header 3   \NC\NR
>    \NC This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long
>                \NC 2005    \NC Thank you   for the tip!\NC\NR
>    \stoptabulate

Or (in the spirit of Taco's example):

\bTABLE
\setupTABLE[c][1][width=4cm]
\setupTABLE[c][2,3][width=2cm] % 2nd and 3rd column
  \bTR
    \bTD Header1 \eTD
    \bTD header2 \eTD
    \bTD header3 \eTD
  \eTR
    \bTD This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long \eTD
    \bTD 2005 \eTD
    \bTD Thank you for the tip! \eTD
\eTABLE

If text in a cell is very long, it will be splitted in more lines
automatically, so that the table of width \textwidth will be produced.
\bTABLE ... \eTABLE is already very clever, however, I don't know if
you can do something similar as in the LaTeX example you provided, so
that the overall table width is fixed to exactly 16 cm (also for a
very small table, which should artificially be expanded) without
having to provide the width of every single column.

See enattab.pdf for more details about natural tables.

Mojca