[NTG-context] Beta bib module release

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Sep 29 16:50:36 CEST 2005

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> disregard most of what I wrote yesterday: most of your new module is
> working fine, thanks so much! Haven't tested the new features yet,  but
> will very soon. I'm especially thrilled by the \cite[right=]  command
> and hope it works!
>
> One major (but probably easy-to-fix) problem is that your wonderfully
> clear syntax {<before}{<after>}{<instead>} isn't working anymore.
> Here's an example. I have this line in my setup for books:
>     \insertseries{ (}{), }{, }%
> which used to work: if the entry has information about the series,  put
> it in parentheses and append a comma, if it doesn't, just put the
> comma. With the new module, I get an extra (), after every title, and
> the same is true for other constructs.

I have found this bug, and uploaded a new beta:

   http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/m-bib-beta-20050929.zip

The output here looks a whole lot better now.

> One question: in the parsed bbl file, the bibtex field "address" is
> translated into "city," "publisher" into "pubname," and "year" into
> "pubyear." Is there a reason for this? I found it a bit confusing
> because you have a macro \insertpublisher which inserts "city,
> pubname"; coming from the names in the database, I couldn't figure  out
> what was happening until I looked at the source. Would it be  possible
> to just keep the fieldnames as bibtex has them?

I did this originally to be compatible with the old context
publications macros as well as the base tex definition of \year,
and I guess it is no longer safe to change the names now. I bit
of a mistake, in hindsight. :-(

> As for  the vertical spacing problem: depending on the font and the
> settings for interlinespace, it is more or less visible. To see a
> really clear case, try setting the interlinespace to something really
> big like 5ex, then you can see that space within the entries is  regular
> while space between entries is somewhat smaller.

Not over here. with \showgrid on, everything is precisely lined up.
That's why I really need an example of what you are doing.

Cheers, Taco