[NTG-context] Debian Install

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 17 10:25:06 CEST 2005

Olivier wrote:

>Quoting  "Hans Hagen" :
>

>>-- was pragma at wxs.nl on Oct 15, 2005 at 01:54:28 --
>>

>>Olivier wrote:
>>

>>>Actually, the file texmf.cnf should be located at /etc/texmf/ like all
>>>the config files for the tetex distrib (and I assume the
>>>/usr/share/texmf/web2c
>>>is just a link from there).
>>>

>>actually, moving all such files to etc is a bad idea; if etc really wants
>>that file there (maybe under /etc/web2c), best make a symlink from there to
>>the formal place tex tree; makes updating easier; a lot of effort goes into
>>making the tex tree clean and self contained, so moving files outside the
>>tree is a bad idea.
>>

>I understand some people may have different views. I was just trying to
>tell the way it is done in the Debian GNU/Linux system.
>There is a policy about TeX stuff location inside the system which is
>described in the Debian TeX policy here:
>        http://people.debian.org/~frank/Debian-TeX-Policy
>This includes as you can read in the first paragraph on config:
>        The central configuration file for TeX applications is
>        /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf, the central font configuration file is
>        /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg, the central
>        language/hyphenation configuration
>        /var/lib/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat, and format
>        generation is determinded by /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.
>        All four files are generated by configuration update programs
>        from configuration files in subdirectories of /etc/texmf.
>
>That's how it is, and was'nt involved in the making of this policy :)

sure -)

but it's confusing that some files end up in etc and some not; i could
imagine /etc/web2c that has all config files

>The original poster was asking for the normal setting in his Debian
>system and I believe it is correct. Moreover, it is always a bad idea to
>move files provided by packages: I know you are providing a sync
>mechanism for conTeXt but you'll certainly understand that doing this
>for every set of program in a system is something a sysadmin does'nt
>want to go into, and I guess that's where packaging system originated ;)

tex reads multiple texmf.cnf files, so one way of getting around it is to make sure that your texmfcnf env var is set up right; that way one can put his own copy of texmf.cnf in a known place (home path or so);