[NTG-context] strange (?) exporting from pdf

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 17 10:27:32 CEST 2005

andrea valle wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I was trying to convert form pdf to rtf in order to share docs with
> non-conTeXt people. Acrobat 7.0 allows with "save as" to export to
> many formats.
> When I convert a pdf created with MSword (or something like: I tried
> also with some on-line pdfs) I have substantially no problems.
> But when I convert pdfs created with context or latex I have no blank
> spaces in the output rtf. Also, accents became autonomous ' (like in
> source). This seems to be systematic: same behavior with conversion
> to  doc or html, same behavior if I use Trapeze converter instead of
> Acrobat.
>
> E.g.:
> pdf in            -->        out (rtf, doc, ...):
>
> questo � un test     -->     questo`euntest
>
> I suppose it depends on pedf source generation.
> Any hints?

tex does not have a space, and spacing ends up in skips; also, sometimes slot 32 is used for whatever char needs a slot;

your problem is not related to pdftex, but a bug in the exporter which is unable to handle arbitrary encodings

an option is to use texnansi encoding which is the least problematic one