[NTG-context] Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?

Matthias Weber matweber at indiana.edu
Sat Nov 5 03:08:31 CET 2005

I use typesetting mainly for math:  papers,  class notes and slides.
I started with Signum
(a wysiwyg program for the Atari, which was great), switched to
AmsTeX , then
to LaTeX, and now to ConTeXt. I am bad at remembering macros, I wrote
most papers
using cut & paste, and when I needed to do something in LateX that I
couldn't look up
in a previous paper, I spent lots of time digging through the 1001
macro packages
available for LaTeX. ConTeXt is much better here for several reasons:

i) It is much more logical, i.e. the way it should work usually
works, and
ii) if not, there is this great email list where I can ask and
usually learn
that ConTeXt is even more logical than I thought before.
iii) it is very easy to reuse material. I can have print and slide
versions of class
notes almost without extra work
iv) ConTeXt is easy to learn incrementally. When I see a feature I
like, I can incorporate it
easily, there is no need to rewrite everything using another macro
package.

The one drawback is that my journal and collaborative papers are
still in LateX,
because my coauthors don't speak ConTeXt, and, more significantly,
www.arXiv.org
(preprint server) doesn't speak ConTeXt either.

Matthias