[NTG-context] Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?

Nicolas Grilly nicolas.grilly at garden-paris.com
Fri Nov 4 18:07:50 CET 2005

This mini-survey is an excellent idea!

What I do with ConTeXt:

1. Produce sales and marketing reports for my customers (we are a marketing
and data mining consultancy). We have a very simple templating language
written in Python that connects to an SQL database, generates the ConTeXt
file, launchs ConTeXt and launchs Acrobat Reader to see the PDF file.

2. Produce totally personalized mailings for customers of companies we work
for. Eveything is personalized: text, background, photos, etc. We produce it
with the same templating solution (see previous point).

We think ConTeXt is the perfect solution with regard to our needs (reporting
and mailing). From our point of view, it has only two drawbacks:

- The integration of new True Type fonts is a difficult and error prone
process. One need to choose the appropriate encoding, create a .tfm file and
write a map file. In order to simplify this, a future version of ConTeXt
could natively use Unicode (no more need to choose an encoding) and could
automatically create .tfm file on demand.

- Absolute positionning is difficult. There is too many way to achieve the
same result, difficult to understand, and the resulting code is very
verbose. But I'm a beginner with ConTeXt! ;-)

Thanks for your beautiful work on ConTeXt!

Regards,

Nicolas