[NTG-context] Re: Fwd: Context UPdater not working

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Nov 21 10:47:52 CET 2005

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> This font stuff keeps confusing me.
>
> Hans & Taco,
>
> What could make this guy's stuff try to load lm-ec.enc while it is
> not there? Map problems?
>
> And what should I think of LM having ec-lm.enc while ConTeXt has lm-
> ec.enc?
>
> Recent ConTeXt installed here:
>
> $ ls /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/
> cmin.enc        cmtt.enc        ec-lm.enc       plsc.enc
> texnansi-lm.enc
> cmit.enc        csin.enc        plin.enc        pltt.enc        ts1-
> lm.enc
> cmitt.enc       csrm.enc        plit.enc        qx-lm.enc
> cmrm.enc        cssc.enc        plitt.enc       qx-lmtt.enc
> cmsc.enc        cstt.enc        plrm.enc        t5-lm.enc
>
> Recent LM installed here:
>
> $ ls /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/
> lm-ec.enc               lm-rep-cmsc.enc         lm-rep-plitt.enc
> lm-el.enc               lm-rep-cmtt.enc         lm-rep-plrm.enc
> lm-qx.enc               lm-rep-csin.enc         lm-rep-plsc.enc
> lm-qxtt.enc             lm-rep-csrm.enc         lm-rep-pltt.enc
> lm-rep-cmin.enc         lm-rep-cssc.enc         lm-rep-t5psn.enc
> lm-rep-cmit.enc         lm-rep-cstt.enc         lm-t5.enc
> lm-rep-cmitt.enc        lm-rep-plin.enc         lm-texnansi.enc
> lm-rep-cmrm.enc         lm-rep-plit.enc         lm-ts1.enc

> Warning: pdfetex (file lm-ec.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr12.pfb

at the day that the tex collection dvd was burned, karl and i found out
that the cm* files were gone from tex live (they used to be part of the
lm distribution); the problem with those cm encoding files is that they
are needed for lm because lm has a non-tex glyph ordering internally

if you look back in time, you will see that sometimes cm*.enc files
are/were needed by dvi postprocessors; in tex live (tetex) there are cm
encoding files, but they have funny names (numbered and digits) and are
probably not meant for usage/users

the latest context refers to the lm-rep files now (let's hope that they
stay); context provides a few more lm goodies so we need our own extra
map files

sorry for the mess, but it's related to changes in the filenames of lm
map/enc files, something i was not happy with but had no influence on;
in cany case: one needs a recent/matching lm/context  to get it working
since there is no way for tex to find out what files are on your system

btw, Karl Berry will put the cm files in the tex live repository (and
ctan) so that we can be sure that we have a proper enc set to go with
the cm fonts