[NTG-context] beginners manual - Install

Wolfgang Zillig wolfgang.zillig at student.kuleuven.be
Thu Nov 24 09:53:10 CET 2005

Miguel Queiros schrieb:

>Hi!
>

>>I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
>>i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>>
>>So the question is:
>>
>>- what can go out
>>- what should go in
>>- what should be updated
>>
>>as well as:
>>
>>- who will participate (in translation)
>>- how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)
>>

>As a beginner myself and typesetting in Portuguese I can tell
>you what I had troubles with:
>
>- mainlanguage
>- Special characters as º (\ordmasculine and stuff like that).
>
>And maybe not in the beginners manual but I think there
>should be an updated manual about how to install context.
>
>I'm still using a context version from 2004.08 as it is the
>only one it worked for me. I downloaded as far as I remember
>the file mswincontext.zip , the stand alone version of
>context, but the newer versions need Perl and Ruby to
>be installed.
>

>By the way... Are there any sugestions on the installation
>of Ruby and Perl on windows ?

http://www.activestate.com/   they provide avtivepearl. It's no problem
to install it.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ there you get ruby. They provide a link to
the "one click ruby installer" which you will find here:
http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl  there is the

after installing you should check if the *.exe of perl and ruby is in
the default path. you can easily check in the command line by
    calling ruby --version
    and
    perl --version

To get the context scripts running they should also be in the default
path (this given path is valid for my miktex installation, you probably
have to change it)!
    C:\texmf\scripts\context\perl
    C:\texmf\scripts\context\ruby

I had to add them manually.