[NTG-context] Chinese

Tobias Burnus burnus at net-b.de
Mon Dec 12 22:15:09 CET 2005

Hi,

Hans Hagen wrote:
> chinese is not yet defined in utf so if you want that, we need to do it
We probably should.

> question: do the unicode tables cover gbk and big 5 well?
There exists a one-to-one correspondence between GBK and Unicode [1],
for Big5 there are 7 characters which cannot be mapped one-to-one (see
comment at top of [2]); thee of which appear twice in Big5 but only once
in Unicode, two are not in unicode and there are two mapping problems.
In practive one can thus say: Both GBK and Big5 can be mapped to Unicode.

> assuming this, how about making a set of tfm,enc,map files that match
> the unicode positions (volunteers ...)
If I get the time, I will play around with the four fonts mentioned on
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese
Adam mentioned
http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~tburnus/linlibertine/LibertineUnicode.zip,
which contains LibertineInConTeXt.txt, which describes a possible way to
do so.
But I wouldn't mind if someone who has more experience in playing around
with .enc files would do the job ;)

Tobias