[NTG-context] developing large numbers of MP files for inclusion in source

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Dec 25 08:50:24 CET 2005

David Arnold wrote:
> Do you have one metapost file with many figures in it? Is it possible
> to just compile for the figurein that file that you want?

Usually I have all in one file. You can comment out figures
you do not need, using:

   if false:
   beginfig(1)
   endfig;
   ..
   fi

So I normally do that with the first ten when I am working on the
eleventh. Later, I just change the 'false' to 'true'.

Sometimes metaposts "input" command is handier, but I prefer not
to have too many files on disk.

> Is there  a
> command that will compile then show the result?

I use ghostscript for preview (gv, actually) or xpdf if there is
embedded math/nontrivial text, by running mptopdf first.

Like I said before: my setup is not hightech at all.

Cheers, Taco