[NTG-context] lijgatures in LM

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:20:33 CET 2006

On 1/21/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Hello, (the Dutch team),
> >
> > Is it possible to prevent the "IJ" ligature in ec encoding in LM fonts
> > in ConTeXt somehow (except with manual intervention in every word
> > containing IJ)? I checked the behaviour in LaTeX with
> > \usepackage[T1]{inputenc} with the default font (some kind of Type 1
> > CM, but not LM), but it seems that only LM changes I and J to a
> > ligature (grrr ...). With the font in LaTeX it works OK.
>
> You can do this (only works in pdftex):
>
>    \definefonthandling [noij][noij][type=tag]
>     \startfonthandling[noij]
>    \settagcode I {\notagcode}
>    \settagcode i {\notagcode}
>    \stopfonthandling
>     \enablehandling[noij]
>
> Be warned that this also destroys any kerning info for the I and i.
> Not a big problem in this case (the number of kernings is minimal)
> but something to watch out for in general.

Thanks a lot. I took a look at the source now. It would be nicer to
say something like

\startlanguagespecifics[nl]
\enablehandling[ij]
\stoplanguagespecifics

and disable it everywhere else, but this would be a way too deep hack,
which could break more than it would fix (and since it's irreversible
it wouldn't work that way anyway).

Thanks for the pointer,
    Mojca