[NTG-context] Fonts problems

Michal Kvasnička quasar at econ.muni.cz
Wed Feb 15 14:19:53 CET 2006

Good afternoon.

I apologize that I bother you once more, but I'm getting desperate. :-(
I have still problem with fonts in ConTeXt---perhaps I'm not able to
install it well. I use ConTeXt  ver: 2006.02.03 21:00, pdfeTeX, Version
3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4), tetex-3.0-13 under SuSE Linux 9.2 (the
tetex is grabbed from Suse 9.3). I tried to copy all files where I
thought they should have been, texhashed, and build formats. Now, some
things work, but not all of them, and not in an expected way.

Problem 1: I expect that a following file should typeset "tufte" in
Latin Modern font.
    \input tufte
ConTeXt loads some map files (/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map
vips/context/original-public-lm.map}), but it clearly isn't able to find
the right one, since it writes this error message:
    kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 72 --mag 1+0/72 --dpi 72
    mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr12.
    kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
    Warning: pdfetex (file ec-lmr12): Font ec-lmr12 at 72 not found
I can correct it when I add one more file:
But I was told that I should omit this line. What's the problem? How can
I correct it?

Problem 2: Let's suppose I add into the previous file this
then the letter \"o is missing (a white space is on its place). Isn't
there a bug in the Latin modern fonts/virtual fonts/metrics, or
whatever? Moreover, gv views the hyphen over the "h" and "B" letters.
(Acrobat Reader 7 view it all right.) How is that possible.

Problem 3: Some fonts are not used properly. The following file
    \usetypescript[ppl] % working pos
    \input tufte\par
works well. It works even if I change "pos" to "ppl", "ptm", "phv", or
"tim". It works even when changed to "pcr", but the text is ragged. When
changed to "con", "bookman", or "iwona", it does nothing---the text is
typeset in Latin Modern. When changed to "ant", I get this error message:
    kpathsea: Running mktextfm sy-anttrz
    /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map typeface abbreviation
y- for sy-anttrz.
    /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
    mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input sy-anttrz
    This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
    kpathsea: Running mktexmf sy-anttrz
    ! I can't find file `sy-anttrz'.
I think I have installed all these fonts (instead of Adobe fonts I have
URW ones). What's wrong.

Problem 4: From what afm files were the tfm metrics for Times,
Helvetica, and Palatino generated? Accents are positioned in a strange
way and after a tquoteright is a strange hole (bad kerning).  A long
time ago I've generated myself tfm metrics from afm files of URW fonts,
and they look much better. Were these afm files used, or were used some
afm metrics of fonts that do not include accented letter, i.e. are those
letters just TeX-based composites?

Problem 5: How can I switch back to CS fonts? (Well, I know I bother you
all, but I still do not like Latin Modern fonts.) :-( I thought that
something like this could work, but it doesn't:
    \starttypescript [serif] [computer-modern] [il2]
      \definefontsynonym [cmb10]    [csb10]    [encoding=il2]
      \definefontsynonym [cmbsy10]  [csbsy10]  [encoding=il2]
    \input tufte
How can I do it?

I apologize for so many questions. Many thanks for your help.
Your thankful
Michal Kvasnicka