[NTG-context] Advance in columnsets/columns?

Michal Kvasnicka quasar at econ.muni.cz
Fri May 5 16:04:48 CEST 2006

Good evening.

I've been very busy in the last year or so, so I haven't been able to
follow up change in the ConTeXt. So I dare to ask: Was there some
advance in columnsets and columns in the last year? (I haven't found any
mail in the mail archive on this topic.) I typeset our church bulletin
in the column layout, so I am especially interested in these matters:

1) If there is some automatic balancing of columnsets, that would allow
me to stop the columnset at the middle of the page, balance it
automatically (not manually, I know to do it manually, but it's
bothering), and start a new columnset on the same page. (I know it's on
the edge of TeX possibilities, or beyond perhaps. But Mr. Hagen is a
real Wizard---he has already implemented many things that I thought are
not possible in the TeX.)

2) Or, what would be satisfactory, if the float-placement mechanism of
ordinary columns was improved, so that I would be able to put a float
not only "here", or on the "top", but also in the "bottom" in the two
columns layout.

Many thanks for your kind answer.
Your sincerely
M.K.