[NTG-context] Cyrillic glyphs display problem with standalone ConTeXt distribution under win32

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 7 21:56:10 CEST 2006

On 5/7/06, Vladimir Smirnov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I use standalone ConTeXt distribution for win32, mswincontext.zip
> downloaded a week ago, and never got proper cyrillic characters. I get
> latin "character codes" instead: for instance, \cyrillicDJE produces "DJE"
> in the output pdf, but not "Ж". At the same time \Tsedilla (cp1250) makes
> the proper glyph. I found that live ConTeXt at contextgarden.org behaves
> in the similar way. Neither of recommendations/samples at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Russian worked for me. The standalone
> context distribution does contain all necessary fonts and regimes, so
> there must be some deeper problem. Could anyone, please, tell me what is
> going on?

Wellcome on the list! Are you the first Russian user here perhaps?

> Here is my test.tex. I tried it in utf, cp1251, cp866, all producing the
> similar result.
>
> (this letter must be in koi-8r cyrillic encoding)
>
> \useregime[cp1251]
> \enableregime[cp1251]

That should be OK (I don't think that you need to say
\useregime[cp1250] explicitely.)

> \usetypescript[modern-base][t2a]
> \setupbodyfont[modern]

Latin modern doesn't have cyrillic letters.

Does the following work?

\starttypescript [antykwa-torunska] [texnansi,ec,el,t2a]
  \definetypeface[antykwa][rm][serif][antykwa-torunska]
[default][encoding=\typescripttwo]
% you need to define also sans and math here
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[antykwa-torunska][t2a]
\setupbodyfont[antykwa]

> \starttext
> Это первый документ \ConTeXt!\par
> \Tcedilla\par
> \cyrillicDJE\par
> АБВГДЕЁЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЬЫЪЭЮЯ
> \stoptext

How do you initialize the fonts under LaTeX?

Mojca