[NTG-context] t-greek and german "Umlaute"

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sun May 7 23:31:32 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 22:40 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> The Greek module does quite some settings which modify the meaning of
> active characters like the one for quotes and umlauts (so that they
> work OK for Greek), font encoding is redefined to suit greek texts as
> well.

Yes, that's right, but in this case, German is the culprit: quotes are
made active for the German language, and the Greek module doesn't fiddle
with them:

from enco-fde.tex:

\startlanguagespecifics[\s!de]

  \appendtoks \makecharacteractive " \to \everynormalcatcodes

> (I though that there was a file t-greek, but now I see only t-oldgreek
> and ancientgreek in modules.contextgarden.net.)

Yes, changed a couple of weeks ago when Hans asked that all modules
conform to the TDS; he also suggested the name change to avoid clashes
with modern Greek (there's s-grk-00.tex in the main distribution).

> I don't know if this should be fixed or not (I guess that the greek
> settings could be made local, so that the rest of text still works as
> usual),

They are local and switch back to default encoding. But this has to be
set, either globally or via a tyepscript or explicitly.

>  but in any case I would use:
> - \quotation{for quotation marks} for many reasons
> - literally äöü for "umlauts". I used to use " and \v long time ago as
> well, but then I wanted to have spellchecking and such, so I abandoned
> that completely. I'm still alergic to plenty of (new) books explaining
> how to use \v without ever mentioning that Unicode and other encodings
> can be used as well.

Well, I had to mention this, but the usual German quotes "` and "' have
been broken for a while now: they will give errors and warnings and
introduce unwanted paragraph breaks. That's when I converted to using
\quotation{ }...

> Die deutschen Umlaute funktionieren so (ä, ö und ü). Auch deutsche
> \quotation{Anführungszeichen} funktionieren perfekt!

Maybe we should add that you need to define the proper regime, either
\enableregime[latin1] or [utf] or even [mac]...

Best

Thomas