[NTG-context] treat framed and externalfigure as characters

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 9 21:22:09 CEST 2006

Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello Taco and Hans,
>
> in http://context.literatesolutions.com/collector/89
> you write
>    "Both Hans and me have documents that depend on \framed staying in
>     vertical mode."
>
> Could you give me an example please?

For instance in a recipe booklet, where one of the macros
goes like this:

   \def\startrecipe[#1]%
     {\getparameters[Recipe]
        [Title=,Summary=,Image=none,#1]% ..
      \framed{\tfd \RecipeTitle}%
      \externalfigure[\RecipeImage]%
      {\bf\RecipeSummary}%
      \blank }

I am not saying that that is the best way to write macros (and I
certainly do not do it like that anymore) but changing the behaviour
would break quite a lot of my existing documents, including some
I have been payed for to do.

Maybe Hans is willing to add a global switch that you can set at
the top of your document(s).

For Hans: Peter would like an implicit \dontleavehmode added to
\framed and \externalfigure, so they behave more like characters
(not like \hboxes).

Cheers, Taco