[NTG-context] vertically centered aligment of different sized texts

frantisek holop minusf at obiit.org
Thu May 18 11:46:41 CEST 2006

hmm, on Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:48:23AM +0200, Taco Hoekwater said that
> The mathematical center of the line is not necesarily the
> optical center, so a somewhat more correct approach would
> put all the stuff in an \hbox and then compute manually
> how far it has to drop down.

i haven't used latex for quite some time now, so i can't
recall how problematic it was to accomplish something like this,
but i find it interesting that there is no easy approach to this.

> For a more pleasing look, it would perhaps be even better
> to line up a normal '7' as if it was an oldstyle numeral,
> and then enlarging it while keeping the same vertical
> alignment ratio.

i've tried the old style numeral but i didn't like it.
by "keeping the same vertical alignment ratio" do you
mean something like \raise?

-f
--
i thank my lucky stars i'm not superstitious.