[NTG-context] backgroundcolor broken in 2006-06-07

Hans van der Meer hansm at science.uva.nl
Sat Jun 10 16:57:18 CEST 2006

Taco,

Thanks for looking into. I would have responded earlier but our
server was out of the air)
This is a stripped down version without all the files for
demonstration, because too big to be send at once.
But the observations are clear now.

I have made a minimal example and done some variations. See file
test.tex and testfig.tex
1. including my own metapost macroset for Label (custom.mp)
	gives different results for \forceMPTEXgraphictrue --
\forceMPTEXgraphicfalse
	undefined as label for true, unknown as label for false
2. draw textext gives in both cases label undefined.

I did an extensive series of experiments and nailed the problem into
the context base files in the change from 2006-05-28 to 2006-06-07.
What I did was:
1. back to version 2006-05-28
	changed metafun.mem to an earlier generated one
	set \forceMPTEXgraphictrue in cont-sys.tex
	generated formats
	typesetting ok
2. generated metafun.mem afresh with texmfstart texexec --make alone
metafun
	typesetting ok
3. changed the ruby scripts over to the 2006-06-07 ones.
	typesetting ok
4. changed the context base files in tex/context/base to their
2006-06-07 ones
	did texhash
	did texmfstart texexec --make en nl
	checked format versions
	typesetting not ok
	Now many things having to do with metapost go wrong, among these:
textext, (inline) textbackground.
5. move out the context base files in tex/context/base of 2006-06-07
	texhash
	regenerate formats
	typesetting ok again

I do not know why this does occur on my MacOSX system and obviously
not on other systems.
But the effect is demonstrably their.
Could it be something in the communication between TeX and Metapost?
Or something related end-of-line stuff?

file test.tex:
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupbodyfont[cmr]
\input testfig
\starttext
\placefigure[][fig:figtest]{Test figure}{\useMPgraphic{testfig}
{width=40mm,height=20mm}}
\stoptext

file testfig.tex:
\startuseMPgraphic{testfig}{width,height}

	w = \MPvar{width};
	h = \MPvar{height};

	% framing figure
	pickup pensquare scaled 2pt;
	draw origin -- (w,0) -- (w,h) -- (0,h) -- cycle;

	% With these two statements the output = test1.pdf resultant label:
unknown
%	\input custom.mp
%	Label("TEXTEXT", (w/2,h/2)) withcolor red;
% alas, these files could not be included

	% With this statement the output = test2.pdf resultant label: undefined
	draw textext("TEXTEXT") shifted (w/2,h/2);

\stopuseMPgraphic
\endinput