[NTG-context] backgroundcolor broken in 2006-06-07

Hans van der Meer hansm at science.uva.nl
Sun Jun 11 15:55:10 CEST 2006

On Jun 10, 2006, at 9:10, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> This turns out to be a disaster for me.
>> Now all textext again comes out as "unknown".
>> Setting \forceMPTEXgraphictrue makes things worse, because now all
>> graphics are replaced by the first one generated.
>> Is there any help?
>>

> Can you send me the complete output of your run, and the current
> contents of cont-sys.tex? (for debugging purposes)

I finally managed to nail down the cause of this problem and solve it.
(adding and removing files and rebuilding format in small steps did
the trick ;-)

It is the following line in supp-mps.tex:
\ifx\TEXEXECcommand \undefined \def\TEXEXECcommand{texmfstart
texexec} \fi

previously this was:
\ifx\TEXEXECcommand \undefined \def\TEXEXECcommand{texexec} \fi

The trouble stems from the fact that apparently "texexec.pl" does not
need an excutable copy named "texexec" in order to get called from
supp-mps.tex whereas "texmfstart.rb" did.
Calling "texmfstart" from bash shell apparently has no trouble
finding texmfstart.rb if it knows its whereabouts.

Therefore now I add to my installation shell script in addition to
unzipping now these two lines:
chmod a+x .../scripts/ruby/texmstart.rb
cp .../scripts/ruby/texmstart.rb /usr/local/bin
(/usr/local/bin on my path, as it is in most unix-like systems).

After that I had to tweak my TeXShop to use texmfstart accordingly.
For those MacOSX-TeXShop users among you who want this too and
without much trouble, here is the recipe (with thanks to Richard Koch):
1. Make a file ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ContextNew.engine (vary the
'ContextNew' part at will)
2. Give it the following contents (the tetex-part pertains to my
tetex tex-structure, yours may vary)
#!/bin/tcsh
set path= ($path /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current)
texmfstart texexec --pdf --autopdf "$1"
3. ensure /usr/local/bin/texmfstart is on your search path
4. if you like choose in the Preferences of TeXShop under "Default
Command" the item "Command Listed Below" and fill the textfield with
"ContextNew"
5. and/or put as first line in your tex-files:
%!TEX TS-program = ContextNew
6. for working in Terminal (the shell, mine is bash) put in
your .bashrc the following lines:
CONTEXT_RUBYSCRIPTS=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/scripts/
context/ruby/
export CONTEXT_RUBYSCRIPTS
PATH=$PATH:$CONTEXT_RUBYSCRIPTS
export PATH