[NTG-context] texmfstart trouble

Hans van der Meer hansm at science.uva.nl
Fri Jun 16 23:25:43 CEST 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 12:35, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Recently I reported 2 problems related to metapost usage:
> 1. the loss of transparent color handling
> 2. textext not being able to handle %'s as in textext("15\%")

The first problem seems to be solved by Taco's remark:

> Believe it or not, but this is a known problem within web2c.
> It is triggered by an interaction between the new texexec
> and having two different entries in texmf.cnf for Metaposts
> memory size, for example like this:
>
>    main_memory.mpost        = 500000
>    main_memory.metafun      = 3000000
>
> Now, the metafun format is generated as "mpost", but the
> graphics are created as "metafun", and the different memory
> sizes make the specials go disappear.

I checked my texmf.cnf in teTeX's main directory ../teTeX/share/texmf
(the one I use) and to my surprise found the complete absence there
of main_memory.metafun although context itself is present. Addding
and regenerating metafun repared the "broken transparency" problem. I
have further to investigate why apparently context.cnf seems not to
have been read or being effective, because there main_memory.metafun
is present!

Thanks Taco for your remark, although it took some time before I
realised that this remark of yours could be the key to the problem.

However the breaking of the handling of "\%"'s in textext was not
solved by this repair.
Will there be a fix in the forseeable future?

Taco wrote in reply to my first signalling the problem:
> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> I am afraid a serious error has been introduced into textext in
>> the last
>> update(s).
>>
>> This used to work in metapost for typesetting text with a %-sign:
>>
>> label(textext("66\%"), origin);
>>
>> Now the % somewhere ends a line prematurely because the job aborts
>> with:
>> ! mpx file ended unexpectedly.
>>
>> Can Hans please repair this, suddenly a lot of my typesetting is
>> broken.
>>

> Verified.
>
> Thanks for analizing this, I was wondering where those
>    ! mpx file ended unexpectedly.
> messages came from in a document Mojca sent me.
>
> Taco

Hans van der Meer