[NTG-context] Clipping again

David Arnold dwarnold45 at cox.net
Sun Jun 25 21:58:22 CEST 2006

Mojca,

Good question of course.

However, I am using this for intermediate algebra students so the
graphs will be lines, absolute value, quadratics, polynomials,
rational functions, radical functions, exponential and logarithmic
functions.

In each case, I would adjust the window to see all important behavior
of the function, extrema, etc. So, for example, if I needed to draw
y=12-x^2, I would not clip this to the boundary (-10,-10)--(10,-10)--
(10,10)--(-10,10)--cycle, because that would chop off the top of the
parabola, and if I added arrows, it would look like I had two
branches. Rather, I might clip y=12-x^2 to the boundary (-10,-20)--
(10,-20)--(10,20)--(-10,20)--cycle in order to see the "turning
point" of the parabola.

That is, I would choose a boundary that would present arrow heads at
each end of the curve. In the case of rational functions, I would
clip each branch separately.

I hope this answers the question.

Thanks.