[NTG-context] Greek hyphenation patterns

Peter Heslin pj at heslin.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 23:43:12 CEST 2006

A few weeks ago, I looked at Context, because I wanted utf-8 hyphenation
patterns for ancient Greek, but then I saw that the patterns shipped
with Context have serious bugs.  I had hoped to patch ctxtools, but the
required changes went beyond my knowledge of Ruby.

I recently posted a Perl script to the xetex mailing list that should
perform the conversion to utf-8 correctly.  I would be happy to modify
the script to make the output more useful to Context users, but I don't
use Context myself.  Feedback is welcome.

The essential problem with the patterns shipped with Context is that it
is the result of a simple conversion, but the hyphenation rules in Greek
are based on the definition of vowels and consonants, which changes in
utf-8.  The original 8-bit patterns of Dimitrios Filippou depend on the
fact that in the Babel encoding accents come before the vowel (except
for iota subscript), whereas in Unicode they are either combined with
the vowel or come after it, depending on whether you use precomposed
characters or not.

--
Peter Heslin (http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin)