[NTG-context] colums

Hans van der Meer hansm at science.uva.nl
Tue Aug 1 13:06:46 CEST 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 0:25, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> When I do:
>>
>> \setupcolumns[n=2,balance=no,tolerance=verytolerant,rule=on] % and
>> variations
>> \startext
>> \startcolumns
>> abc
>> \column
>> def
>> \stopcolumns
>> \stoptext
>>
>> This produces two columns when typeset on the upper half of the page.
>> Suddenly about halfway the page the columns are not put side by
>> side but
>> below each other!
>
> Can you give an example that shows the problem?
>
> Aditya

I ran the next code on the Live Context site and it gave me "first
column" on the first page and "second column" on page 2.

\starttext
\dorecurse{4}{\input tufte}

\startcolumns[n=2]
first column
\column
second column
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

But, as Hans Hagen wrote in another reply:

> \column is just not that trustworthy; columnsets give more control but
> cannot be used mixed with one column

However, I seem to remember columnsets as fairly complex.

Hans van der Meer