[NTG-context] Recapitulating

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Aug 25 09:18:53 CEST 2006

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Apart from that the only thing that comes to my mind is the usage of
> (math) fonts in general. XeTeX has not been around for such a long
> time as pdfTeX, so if you want to set up your own font for math or
> whatever, you might need slightly more patience. (Latin Modern hasn't
> been set up yet to work in the same was as it does in pdfTeX for
> example.) And if you want to use the old TeX fonts, you might come
> accross some problems with accented letters (XeTeX doesn't know that a
> certain font is ec-encoded) ... etc.

math is a different story

- more that 16 families
- unicode access > 64K (where math is located)
- additional (and alternative) symbol definitions
- new (!) math features built into the engine

pdftex and xetex are currently more or less the same; things may become
different when open type math fonts show up

i also expect pdftex 2 (aka luatex aka metatex) to provide new
functionality, but much of that is hidden for the user and aimed at
better output

so, when you use pdftex and xetex mixed, you must keep in mind that the
same text may be typeset diffferently due to different font handling and
features
> To conclude it in two sentences: concentrate on content instead. You
> would have to think twice if you would have to decide between LaTeX
> and ConTeXt. The difference between documents in pdfTeX and XeTeX is
> only a matter of a couple of lines in setup, "nothing more".

yet -)