[NTG-context] YABQ (yet another bib question...)

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Mon Sep 11 21:05:55 CEST 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> You can try this:
>
>    \def\silentcite[#1]%
>      {\bgroup
>       \let\addthisref\gobbleoneargument
>       \cite[#1]%
>       \egroup}
>
> (untested). If that does not work, it is not possible.
>
> Taco

Taco,

thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't work (still  produces an entry
in the bibliography), but it's not a big deal, these are very special
cases, and I can edit the bbl manually in order to get them right.

On a related note: all lovers of the bib module (and I know there are
many of them out there) may be interested to know of two nice things.
I found them out while I was switching my bibliographies to the new
system. So if you use the one and only editor, emacs, you may want to
try this:

1. reftex works with context! It cannot automatically determine the
database it is supposed to use (I have to look into the customization
again to see whether it can be taught to do so), but you can tell it
explicitly about your .bib file, and then, all the usual keybindings
work, you get a nice buffer where you can choose your references etc.
There was a discussion a while ago on the mailing list, and my
impression was it didn't work, so I was thrilled to see it did!

2. I discovered another nice little app that works within emacs. It's
called ebib. It is not very good as an editor for bibtex databases,
but it has a great tab-completion feature for inserting references
into your files. I tweaked it a bit so it would insert the proper
\cite[] and \nocite[] commands for ConTeXt, and it is the fastest and
most convenient thing I've ever seen. Maybe I should say something
about on the wiki?

Anyway, Taco, thanks for your help, and all best

Thomas