[NTG-context] MPenvironment \def gives "Parameters must be numbered consecutively"

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 18:29:05 CEST 2006

On 9/29/06, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> This test file (beta 2006.09.28):
> ============ 1.tex ============================
> \starttext
> \startMPenvironment
> \def\2#1#2{\vbox{\halign{\hfil##\hfil\cr #1\cr #2\cr}}}
> \stopMPenvironment

A lesson that I learned while trying to implement a few functions for gnuplot:
     never try to do tricky stuff like definitions inside
MPenvironement, because it is parsed and changed slightly.

I would also prefer if definitions and other commands inside
MPenvironement would work as they were supposed to, but exactly this
was one reason more why I like \sometxt so much now. You can create a
definition anywhere in your TeX document and then use it inside

Would that kind of approach satisfy your needs?

(that being just another point of view from what Hans pointed out;
Hans's approach might also be useful; although I admit that I will
soon start mixing up all the different MP commands: MPinclusions,
MPextensions, preambles, environment ... )

PS: that should go into another thread and is not that urgent since I
found an ugly workaround, but anyway: is there a chance to access
dimensions such as PageWidth, OverlayWidth ... and others inside
MPextensions/inclusions? OverlayWidth is defined just behind the
extensions/inclusions, which basically means that I can use it inside
a graphic, but not inside macros defined in MPextensions. Any remedy
for that?