[NTG-context] font switches, tables, and grouping

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Thu Oct 5 04:04:44 CEST 2006

Hi Aditya,

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:02:42 -0600, Aditya Mahajan <adityam at umich.edu>
wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>
>> Dear consortium,
>>
>> font switches do not obey grouping when \start-stoptable is invoked:
>>
>> ===============================
>> Some text
>>
>> \start\it
>> \starttable[|l|l|]
>> \NC 2001 \NC Fall \NC\SR
>> \stoptable
>> \stop
>>
>> Some text
>> ===============================
>>
>> The second `Some text' comes out italicized. What is happening here and
>> how do I fix it?
>
> This works fine here using
> ConTeXt  ver: 2006.10.02 09:56 MK II  fmt: 2006.10.2
>
> \start .. \stop are defined as
>
> \let\simplestart\bgroup
> \let\simplestop \egroup
>
> So the only way \it will move across the \stop is if \stoptable is
> missing a \egroup. But then tex should complain about missing end
> group, something like
>
> (\end occurred inside a group at level 1)
>
> ### simple group (level 1) entered at line 4 ({)
> ### bottom level
>
> Does your log file say this?

Yes, and I think I found the culprit:

====================================
\setuptables[split=yes]

\starttext

Some text

\start\it
\starttable[|l|l|] \NC 2001 \NC Fall \NC\SR \stoptable
\stop

Some text

\stoptext

If you comment out \setuptables[split=yes] it works fine. So there is/was
(ConTeXt  ver: 2006.08.16)
most likely a bug in the splitting mechanism.

I'll try the latest beta later and report back.

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid