[NTG-context] static figures not working with the 2006.10.04 beta

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 14:17:27 CEST 2006

> Works fine here on the same version.

Thanks for testing.  Then it must have been something messed up in
trying a TEXMFLOCAL update.  Oh, just found it.  kpathsea wasn't
finding my cont-sys.tex (in ~/texmf/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex), so
these values were not set:

\runMPgraphicstrue
\runMPTEXgraphicstrue

Yet the cont-sys.tex file is there.  Magic: When I deleted the ls-R
database, cont-sys.tex became visible.  Obviously I don't understand
how kpathsea works.  I thought a path element (in texmf.cnf) without a
!!  in front meant kpathsea would search the filesystem as well as the
ls-R.  So deleting the ls-R should not change "not found" to "found",
since it should have searched the disk anyway.  Anyhow it's okay now.
Maybe the ls-R had a cont-sys.tex but in the wrong location, so it
didn't bother to search the disk.

TeX file searching is a god awful, fragile mess!

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.