[NTG-context] an encoding for turkish

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 17:07:20 CEST 2006

On 10/11/06, R. Ermers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing a document in xml docbook. The general output  with
> Context is fine.
>
> However, in my main text (Dutch) I use some Turkish as well. Next to the
> xml-editor, I use Textpad, whose unicode support is not optimal, so  for
> the time being I save the file in iso 8859-9. This encoding is identical
> to latin-1, but with the 6 symbols ETH, eth, THORN, thorn, Yacute,
> yacute replaced by Gbreve, gbreve, Scedilla, scedilla, Idotabove,
> dotlessi (see e.g. http://www.gar.no/home/mats/8859-9.htm).

In "usual .tex" document \enableregime[iso-8859-1] or simply
\enableregime[latin5] or "il5" should work. I don't use xml docbook,
so I have no idea how to set it there, but I assume that you'll find a
way to create your own conversion.

> Now I can't figure out which encoding to use in my Context document (I
> also considered using a code in the xml, but that is not a very
> attractive idea). Do we need to set up a separate coding for Turkish
> (like for Polish, Slowak and Romanian)?

ec should be fine apart from the fact that in some fonts (lmodern)
there is "scommaaccent" and in others (iwona) "scedilla" on the same
slot. If you have bad luck (if you want to use a font which has
scommaaccent instead of scedilla):
- you can redefine scedilla to be composed from s and cedilla, but
then you loose proper hyphenation of words containing scedilla
- you can use another font or hack a bit (try whether it works if you
replace scommaaccent with scedilla in ec-lm.map files)
- you can wait for the new version of pdfTeX

> The next step will be to

... to finish the sentence perhaps? ;) No, just joking.

Mojca