[NTG-context] Module for ptj

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Mon Nov 27 19:49:05 CET 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> I've just played some with your module for the PracTeX journal. This
> is very nice to have, I'm absolutely thrilled! When I wrote for them,
> I just relied on a self-cooked style, but yours looks much closer to
> the official LaTeX template. Just two or three very small remarks:
>
> 1. You should mention somewhere that your module necessitates
> installing the texgyre fonts (at least pagella) + the map files. They
> don't come with a normal ConTeXt installation (yet).

Ah, I just assumed that everybody would have downloaded TeXGyre fonts
by now :) I will add a note and the download instructions in the
documentation.

> 2. I haven't really looke into the texgyre fonts yet, but is it
> possible to make mediaeval numbers the default? Given that they are
> used for page and section numbers, that would make sense, IMHO.

I do not know how to do that (for any font). If you can point me to
some documentation or example on setting up oldstyle numbers for some
fonts, I will experiment with it to see if it can be enabled by
default for PracTeX Journal.

> 3. The line endings in lines 226 and 227 need to be escaped;
> otherwise, you'll get a spurious space in front of the abstract
> buffer (visible in output in demo mode).

Ah, so that was where the space was coming from. I'll correct it. I
still do not understand when a line in a \def should end in a % and
when it is alright to omit it.

> Thanks so much for providing this module; I'll certainly use it if I
> write anything for PTJ again!

I hope you find the time to write something more. I really enjoyed
your previous articles.

Aditya