[NTG-context] What happened to the em dashes?

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Dec 15 23:36:28 CET 2006

I just noticed on a sample chapter sent to a customer that the em dashes are
missing. What is shown is the three hyphens instead.

In my document I have this:

In type-agaramond.tex I have this:

\starttypescript [serif] [garamond] [8r]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Roman]           [8r-raw-AGaramond-Regular]
\definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Italic]          [8r-raw-AGaramond-Italic]
 \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Roman-SmallCaps] [8r-raw-AGaramond-RegularSC]

\starttypescript [serif] [garamond] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [AGaramond-Roman]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [AGaramond-Italic]
 \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [AGaramond-Roman-SmallCaps]

\starttypescript [AGaramond]
  \definetypeface [MyGaramond] [rm] [serif] [garamond] [default] [encoding=8r]
I intstalled the fonts by using the texfont package.

I can of course look up the glyph on the chart and do a \char thingie but the
em dash is so basic I don't know how I messed it up. Does it have something
to do with the 8r-raw encoding? That is what came out of texfont.

John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting
Satisfaction guaranteed.