[NTG-context] HZ and DVI

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 13 03:33:49 CET 2007

Peter M writes:
> I'll try xpdf: I need something fast and that watches the file.

xpdf is fast but it won't watch the file.  As far as I know, the only
pdf viewer that watches the file, at least on Linux, is gv
(ghostscript).  If you find another, let me know.

As you say, acroread is slow; plus it's not free software (in the free
speech sense), so I have two reasons to not use it.

One (I hope) short project that's high on my to-do list is to add file
watching to xpdf.  Maybe using inotify or dnotify, at least on linux.
The word on the street is that inotify is the better choice, but I
don't have experience with either, nor am I sure how widely available
they are on linux kernels from distributors.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)