[NTG-context] delimiter bigger then \Biggr

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Thu Jan 25 06:24:40 CET 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Jano Kula wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> How would you make right delimiter } bigger then $\Biggr\}$ to join
> several lines in table?
>
> A AA -|
> B BB  |
> C CC  |- description
> D DD  |
> E EE -|
>
> Is there a better solution (?) than
>
> $\left.\blackrule[width=0pt,height=14mm]\right\}$

No. In fact, this is how they are defined in core-mat.tex

\def\@@dobig#1#2%
   {{\hbox{$\left#2\vbox\!!to#1\bodyfontsize{}\right.\n at space$}}}

\def\big {\@@dobig{0.85}}
\def\Big {\@@dobig{1.15}}
\def\bigg{\@@dobig{1.45}}
\def\Bigg{\@@dobig{1.75}}

math-tex redefines \big etc, but it is just a cosmetic change.

\def\PLAINbig {\@@dobig{0.85}}
\def\PLAINBig {\@@dobig{1.15}}
\def\PLAINbigg{\@@dobig{1.45}}
\def\PLAINBigg{\@@dobig{1.75}}

and then

\definemathcommand [big]  {\PLAINbig}
\definemathcommand [Big]  {\PLAINBig}
\definemathcommand [bigg] {\PLAINbigg}
\definemathcommand [Bigg] {\PLAINBigg}

So perhaps all you can do is define something like

\definemathcommand [MYBIG] {\@@dobig{6}}
% Change 6 to something that gives a good visual effect.

or exploit the matrix environment as Wolfgang suggested.

Hans, can we get rid of the definition of \big etc from core-mat.tex?
Are \big etc supposed to work in text mode also?

Aditya