[NTG-context] Characters per inch with ConTexT

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Feb 14 16:14:26 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing a document where the guidelines say that I should use
>> Times Roman font at 10pt with 15 characters per inch and 6 lines per
>> inch. I am using thermes from tex gyre rscaled=1.015 as the bodyfont.
>> At this setting I get a bit more less than 6 lines per inch (which is
>> fine) but roughtly 17 characters per inch. Any way I could setup fonts
>> so that both these criteria is automatically met?
>
> This should give you exactly 6 lpi @ 10pt
>
>   \setupbodyfontenvironment[10pt][interlinespace=12bp]

Thank you. Now I see an advantage of bp over pt.

>> Why do people come up with such criteria :((
>
> The average character width in times roman is only a  little over 4pt
> when loaded at 10pt, resulting in more than 18cpi, so you could try
> to explain to them that the 10pt and 15cpm contradict eachother.

That is what I found. Can I tweak spacefactor and spaceskip to give an
impression that there are 15 cpi.

> But I guess they do not really expect you to do anything with the cpi
> statement, unless you are using a typewriter.

I guess someone made the requirements in 1950 or 1960, and others are
blindly copying them. Maybe, I should typeset everything in monotype
font :)

Aditya