[NTG-context] Some questions about context

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:44:29 CET 2007

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:43:51 +0100
Xan <DXpublica at telefonica.net> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Xan,

> I'm new user of context. I gone from latex, which I use in the last 5
> years intensively
>
> I read your wiki but I don't find some answers to my wishes. Basically I
> want to know what are the equivalent of latex commands/packages in
> context. Can you help me in thay?. Thanks in advance.... so let's go:
>
> 1) The first question is about landscape mode and xdvi. In latex, if we
> want landscape, we put:
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,10ptt,landscape]{article}
>
> but when we see .dvi in xdvi, xdvi does not detects automatically that
> it's in landscape mode.
>
> For that, we have to put:
>
> \usepackage[dvips,...]{geometry}
>
> now the xdvi show .dvi in landscape mode
>

> The question is, how we get the same in context?. If we put:
>
> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>
> the xdvi program does not detect that .dvi is in landscape mode. Is
> there an equivalent command of geometry that allow that?

ConTeXt use PDF as default output format. A short test with the dvips
way show a rotated content but the page is not roatated, this seems to
be not suported

> 2) In latex there is the fancyhdr package that allows to put lines at
> bottom and at top of the page and put right and left headings and
> footers like: \rhead{Hello} ....
>
> What is the equivalent in context?

The ConTeXt method for headers is:

\setupheadertexts[centered on odd and even page]
\setupheadertexts[left on odd and even page][right on odd and even page]
\setupheadertexts[left on even page][right on even page]
                 [left on odd page][right on odd page]

The same methos id used for footer with \setupfootertexts instead of
\setupheadertexts.

I attached a file that provides another way to set the headers and
footers in your document. You can use it with the command
\usemodule[wolf-txt]. A few examples can be found in the source.

> 3) Is there an equivalent to the package lastpage in context? So can we
> put [number of page]/[total number of pages] at the bottom of the page?

\setupfootertexts[\pagenumber/\lastpage]

> 4) How can we create new counters in context? Like latex
> \newcounter{mycount}

You can use the plain TeX command \newcount\mycount or the ConTeXt
command \newcounter\mycount to create a counter. The ConTeXt methos
provides also the two commands \increment\mycount to increase your own
counter by one and the command \decrement\mycount to reduce your own
counter by one.

> 5) In mathematics, in context there are three modules: "nath", "amsl",
> "new math", according to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math
>
> What are these features and limitations? What is the "best"?

ConTeXt provides now many functions from these modules by default.
Aditya wrote a few articles about the new option for maths in his My
Ways and at the wiki.

Please take a look at the following articles

http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf
http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/matharrows.pdf

> 6) Is there an equivalent module of xyfig?

Do you mean xypic?

Take a look at Tikz/Pgf:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgf/

or MetaPost/MetaFun:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaPost
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaFun

bot come with their own manuals.

> 7) Is there an equivalence of amssymbols?. How can I display for example
> $x \leadsto \int_a^b \arcsin (x+\cos \alhpa)$?

This should work by default. AFAIK the AMS symbols are enabled by
default in ConTeXT. A short test worked without problems.

> 8) How can we do a "minipage" in context?

You can use the more powerful frame environemnt.

\starttext

\framed[width=6cm,align=right]{\readfile{knuth}\donothing\donothing}

\stoptext

> 9) Can you tell me some link about babel and hipernation?

You set the language for your document with the \mainlanguage[xx] and
the \language[xx] commands where "xx" stands for your language id as
"en" for english.

> Thank you very much,
> Xan.

Wolfgang