[NTG-context] Umlaut causes footnotline to jump

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 15 21:00:05 CET 2007

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> The awkward thing about this is that the chosen values are given by the publishers...
well, many designers and publishers are often not aware of these things
(actually, in most of the styles i make for publishers i end up with not
using any font or color system simply because there is no logic in the
choices made);

in luatex we can cheat by creating a virtual font with zero ht/dp glyphs
but in tex this is not possible without changing font metrics
> After some trying I saw that interlinespace[line=10.6pt] instead of 9.8pt would work. But this far beyond.
> The document I am working on is to be published as part of a series. So I can't change the footnote's interlinespace from 9.8pt to 10.6pt!
as suggested, you may try to change the ht/dp ratio and cross your
fingers that no ( ) are used (or math with superscript)
> Is there truly no other workaround?
no, it's like building a wall with 10cm heigh bricks and wanting 10 layers mount up to 80cm