[NTG-context] using Make for documents

Peter Rolf indiego at gmx.net
Thu Mar 29 16:50:32 CEST 2007

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> At the recent User Meeting, a few people were interested in how to use
> make to maintain complex documents.  Here is version 0 of a step-by-step
> explanation:
>
> <http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sanjoy/teaching/tex/>
>
> Comments welcome!  The URL may change.  I'll eventually put it on the
> wiki, or (since I prefer the GPL to the GFDL) put a link to it from the
> wiki once it's stable.
>
> -Sanjoy

Hi Sanjoy,

make is really a very useful tool for nearly everything that has some
complexity. I'm currently trying to replace several shell scripts
(clean, xslt calls,..) with a single Makefile. So thanks for your very
good introduction in the usage of make.

Just some quick notes:

- the 'last section' link for the impatient is not working
- I missed variables (for file lists, command lines, whatever)
- a link to
  http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

For all Windows (XP) users without make there is

http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml

(quite old, but working).

Best, Peter