[NTG-context] Listing of typical beginner-questions

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:56:28 CEST 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:36:10 +0200
Luuk Beurskens <luuk.beurskens at gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Last weekend I had my first hands-on experience with Context. I was told
> that a listing of the type of problems that I encountered would have a
> certain value to the Context project. That's why below you'll find an
> overview of my beginner-questions, to some of which I already found answers.
>
> My aim is not to have all questions answered via the list, but rather to
> document them for later use in some kind of manual. For I know that
> finding the answers is mostly a matter of searching the documentation.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Luuk Beurskens
> The Netherlands
>
> PS: I have been using Latex for some years. The questions below came up
> using a stand-alone Context environment in MS Windows.
>

> Q: Starting with Context, the use of which language is to be preferred
> for the commands?
> A: The English version is most commonly applied, even in the Netherlands
>
> Q: If one starts in a Context document in one language, can it be easily
> converted to another language (form English to Dutch or German, for
> example)?
> A: This is possible, but no ready-available tool exists.
>
> Q: Why does background=color not work inside \bTABLE ... \eTABLE?
> A: Put \setupcolors[state=start] in the beginning of the document
>
> Q: How to apply a background colour for the margin space?
> A: This is possible but not easy to explain. See info by Patrick
> Gundlach and the section Crossing Borders in the Metafun manual in
> chapter Pagebackgrounds by Hans Hagen.

Hi Luuk,

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][background=screen]

\starttext

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Q: Where to put the commands that apply to the whole document? Is there
> a 'preferred sectioning' of a Context source?

You should use \environment's:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure

> Q: What is the equivalent of the Latex \begin{thebibliography} environment?
>
> Q: The command \setupwhitespace[big] doesn't have an impact on the
> paragraph spacing. What am I doing wrong?

\setupwhitespace[big]

\starttext

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Q: Using \startcombination[*] it is possible to display several pictures
> into one figure. How could one achieve that several figures are treated
> as one picture, i.e. that they are all forced to be placed on one page?

\starttext

\setupframed[width=5cm,height=5cm]

\input knuth

\placefigure
  [page]
  []
  {Four blocks}
  {\startcombination[2*2]
     {\framed{}}{Block 1}
     {\framed{}}{Block 2}
     {\framed{}}{Block 3}
     {\framed{}}{Block 4}
   \stopcombination}

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Q: One cell in a table (\bTABLE ... e\TABLE) should contain a unit (EJ
> for example) in square brackets: [EJ]. The result is that the respective
> row is not displayed at all. What is wrong? Could I possibly use the
> Latex equivalent \symbol{code}?

\starttext

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD
      {[EJ]}
    \eTD
  \eTR
\eTABLE

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD[left={[},right={]}]
      EJ
    \eTD
  \eTR
\eTABLE

\stoptext

> Q: How can I change the fontsize inside a table?

\starttext

Text

\setupTABLE[style=small]

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD Text \eTD
  \eTD
\eTABLE

\setuptables[bodyfont=small]

\starttable[|l|]
\NC Text \NC\AR
\stoptable

\setuptabulate[bodyfont=small]

\starttabulate[|l|]
\NC Text \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

\stoptext

> Q: How can I change the fontsize of an \inmargin?

\starttext

Text

\setupinmargin[style=small]

\inmargin{Text}

\stoptext

> Q: How can I make a line in the header or footer of a document?

\setupheadertexts[left][right]
\setupfootertexts[left][right]

\starttext

Text

\stoptext

> Q: How can I define a fancy page numbering (i.e. large and coloured
> number)?
>
> Q: How to make sure that numbers in a colomn align correctly, for example:
> 9400
>    60
>   100
>     3
> Inserting ~ works fine when using a proportional font. An extra
> difficulty occurs when the figures should be centered below the heading
> of the column.
>
> Q: a question related to the use of SciTE: changing the file
> scite.properties for a proportional fontsize doesn't work, although it
> is very well explained in the SciTE helpfile. What's the trick?

I think this is a bug in the version shipped with the ConTeXt
distribution for Windows, because in the download version from the
Scite homepage everything works as expected.

Wolfgang