[NTG-context] Can I use OpenType fonts with ConTeXt on Windows right now

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 21:07:46 CEST 2007

I admit it. I admit everything. I'm the guily one for the whole mess
about XeTeX!

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes_in_XeTeX

Some time ago Hans has decided to ignore \enableregime in XeTeX. I
could have written more (and cite things), but I'm in a hurry right
now and I will probably be offline for the whole weekend.

The wiki pages need a massive adaption! Really.

On 4/13/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mojca,
>
> And what is more, you have said that other input regimes should work as well, but the following fragment doesn't work. (arbitrary symbols are substituted)

I said that it could have worked ... I didn't say that it actually works ;)

\enableregime should be adapted in my opinion. I had a patch already,
but I don't have time to look for it right now. The following should
work though:

Either
    \XeTeXinputencoding "bytes"
% uncomment the line which prevents loading of regimes in XeTeX
    \enableregime[cp1251]

or
    \XeTeXinputencoding "cp1251"

> \enableregime[cp1251]
> \definetypeface[myface][rm][Xserif][Times New Roman]
> \setupbodyfont[myface, 12pt]
> \starttext
> Hello World!
> Привет!
> \stoptext
>
> (I really saved the file in that encoding - Windows Cyrillic, 1251)
>
> It is quite disappointing, because that encoding would cover my English-Russian-Ukrainian typesetting needs fully. UTF is amazing but not as convenient as cp1251.

There should really be no problem in adapting the \enableregime to
cover those regimes (it's really a simple patch). From the fact that
Hans added quite some new files and definitions during transition to
luaTeX ... I guess that he might still be willing to adapt that
behaviour in XeTeX as well.

Mojca