[NTG-context] Weird Fieldstack problem

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Jun 8 19:35:36 CEST 2007

Quoting Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen at gmail.com>:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> Actually, they should have the same boundingbox, the first MPdrawing
> environment draws a line from (0,0) to (2cm,2cm) and the sequence MPdrawing
> environments just add two lines that are in the previous boundingbox.
>
> I know what's happening now. \definesymbol doesn't define a symbol
> from \getMPdrawing at once.

Yes, \definesymbol[a][b] is roughly equal to \def\a{b}, for example

\starttext

\def\something{aa}

\definesymbol[aa][\something]
\symbol[aa]

\def\something{bb}
\symbol[aa]

\stoptext

This is what is also happening in your case. You need to go back to the
definebuffer and processbuffer as suggested in metafun manual.

I do not know if it makes sense to have a \edef version of
definesymbol. In any case, getting expansion to work with \getMPdrawing
is going to be difficult.

Aditya