[NTG-context] Draw chess board

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 06:49:32 CEST 2007

On 6/6/07, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've tried to write a test file which can only handle ;B[??], ;W[??],
> AB[??], AW[??] now, and I haven't added the interaction part. But it is a
> good start.
>
> Any suggestions?

Wow - that's really, really impressive! You indeed started parsing the
strings in plain TeX!

I've changed your source slightly, to give you an idea of yet another
approach: using TikZ. It's main advantage over metapost might be:
- you can draw more fancy stones (see the example - that could be made
configurable of course), although teoretically the same could be
achived with slightly improved smooth shading mechanism in mptopdf
macros
- might be easier to backport to (La)TeX
- I can imagine your module to be a new, really nice TikZ
package/module (that could be used in other flavours of TeX) + some
fancy ConTeXt additions (user interface, javascript, ...).

The main difference is that you need to store all the variables in
TeX, not in metapost, so that part should be rewritten as well (which
I didn't do).

But simply forget about my stupid comments about (La)TeX for and do it
your way now.

Mojca

(I have some other comments, but it's too early to speak about them,
since the module is not ready/complete yet.)