[NTG-context] How to align numerals in lists on the dot or paranthesis that follows the numeral?

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 24 14:18:06 CEST 2007

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:13:22 -0400
"Hamid Kamrani" <hamid.kamrani at gmail.com> wrote:

> At least in the U.S., it is the rule and a strict requirement to
> typeset vertical lists in such a way that the numerals align on the
> dot or parenthesis following the numeral.
>
> (even the daily violation of the rule by some of the most widely used
> word processors such as MS Word has not changed this old-aged
> convention.)
>
> I feel it must be possible in ConTeXt to do this because it is such a
> basic requirement and ConTeXt is used professionally. However, it's
> not the default behavior and I don't know which options will achieve
> it.
>
> (And if by any chance, this is not yet possible in ConTeXt, can anyone
> suggest a workaround for this, in ConTeXt of course.
>
> It is the default behavior in both LaTeX and eplain.

Hi Hamid,

I corrected my last patch and integrated a itemalign key. You can test
it with the following example.

\input core-itm-patch

\starttext

\startframedtext[width=\textwidth]
\startitemize[n][style=bold]
\item As a college student, how do you rate yourself?
  \startitemize[5,columns,two]
  \item Excellent student
  \item Good student
  \item Mediocre student
  \item Poor student
  \stopitemize
\stopitemize
\stopframedtext

\startitemize[n][style=bold]
\item As a college student, how do you rate yourself?
  \startitemize[5, columns, two]
  \item Excellent student
  \item Good student
  \item Mediocre student
  \item Poor student
  \stopitemize
\stopitemize

\startitemize[n,packed,broad][itemalign=left]
\dorecurse{10}{\item Item \recurselevel.}
\stopitemize

\startitemize[n,packed,broad]
\dorecurse{10}{\item Item \recurselevel.}
\stopitemize

\stoptext

Wolfgang