[NTG-context] columns/blank=

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 1 14:13:32 CEST 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:01:11 +0200
Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what is the rationale behind
>
>        \setupblank[\@@klblank]%
>        \ifdim\ctxparskip>\zeropoint\relax
>          \setupwhitespace[\@@klblank]%
>        \fi
>
> in page-mul.tex (columns)? It seems to me that blank=line inside a
> startcolumn does not work if ctxparskip = 0pt, which is the default.
> So when I'd like to have setupwhitespace[line] to get paragraphs
> separated by blank lines inside a column, I have to do this some other
> way?!?
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

both setups are indpendent from the other one, they use only the same
value inside columns.

1. \setupblank[\@@klblank]%

   use the value from \setupcolumns[blank=..] for every simple blank
   command inside columns. The default value for blank is line and
   this value is used. You can use other value like small, big or
   dimen without problems with a complex blank.

   simple blank: \blank
   complex blank: \blank[small|dimen|...]

2. \ifdim\ctxparskip>\zeropoint\relax
     \setupwhitespace[\@@klblank]%
   \fi

   look if the user has set parskip, if the answer is yes overwrite the
   global value from the user and use the local value for columns.
   The local comes also from the columns key \setupcolumns[blank=...]

   You can change the parskip value inside columns either with
   \setupcolumns[blank=...] or you write \setupwhitespace[...] after
   \startcolumns.

A testfile would also help, you see I set parskip to ConTeXts small
value but I get a line in columns.

\showgrid
\setupwhitespace[small]

\starttext