[NTG-context] installing MKIV

Peter Rolf indiego at gmx.net
Wed Aug 8 22:35:55 CEST 2007

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>>>   Alternatively, you can use LuaTeX itself as the lua interpreter and
>>> compiler. That is, the same binary will act as:
>>>
>>>   LuaTeX proper when called luatex(.exe)
>>>   lua when called texlua(.exe) (equivalent to luatex --luaonly)
>>>   luac, the compiler, when called texluac.(exe)
>>>
>>>   So you don't even need lua anymore.
>> i see. but on windows you waste more than 7mb disk space this way.
>> installing the lua binaries costs only 288kb. so where is the benefit?
>>
>> there must be a better way.
>
> these 7 meg gave as advantage
>
> - no need to install anything else (no huge ruby/perl or whatever)
> - bytcode compiler in sync with luatex internals
> - texlua has the libs that we need built in

i see the advantages :)

it's just that i don't see the need for three identical files, when you
can use one with different (mode switching) parameters. yes, i know.
it's an early beta.

> alternatives:
>
> -- texlua.cmd --
>
> @echo off
> setlocal
> set ownpath=%~dp0%
> "%ownpath%luatex" --luaonly %*
> endlocal

this one is already in my bin dir. but i couldn't find a similar
parameter for texluac. also my tries with 'junction' (a sysinternals
tool for creating links) didn't succeed. the created links were not found.