[NTG-context] mimimal typescripting

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Aug 12 19:41:19 CEST 2007

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Dear Hans,
>
> I fully understand that such complex typescripts can be the only way to use full-featured professional fonts.  But if I have only one ttf with one kind of typeface in it, should I write it all? XeTeX style was very appealing for many people, and verbose font definitions may distract these users.

i dunno what xetex style means here, but

	\font\vladimirscript=name:vladimir*default at 12pt

is as minimum as it can gets but normally you want to set up a whole
bunch of related things

> But anyway, thank you for escaping us from TeX-specific font hell :)
>
> Let me restate my question: is the following definition is really MINIMAL or it can be further reduced in some way?
>
>  \starttypescript [serif] [vladimirscript]
>     \definefontsynonym [Serif][name:vladimir][features=default]
>  \stoptypescript
>  \starttypescript [vladimirscript]
>      \definetypeface [vladimirscript] [rm] [serif] [vladimirscript] [default]
>  \stoptypescript
>
> \usetypescript[vladimirscript]
> \setupbodyfont
>     [vladimirscript, 12pt]

\starttypescript [serif] [vladimirscript]
\setups[font:fallback:serif]
\definefontsynonym [Serif][name:vladimir][features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [vladimirscript]
\definetypeface [vladimirscript] [rm] [serif] [vladimirscript] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[vladimirscript]
\setupbodyfont[vladimirscript, 12pt]

by adding the setups call, you make sure that your bold etc also uses
the same font as fallback