[NTG-context] plain tex, context and latex

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 16:03:51 CEST 2007

On 8/27/07, Liesbeth van der Plas <liesbethvanderplas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really!. That's really a disadvantage of Latex!  I thought Knuth's
> primitives plus macro's were together 'plain tex' and thus untouched in both
> Context and Latex.

No -- in some cases there are real conflicts, but in this case, you might
get away with just pasting lines 598--632 from plain.tex, bracketed with
\makeatletter and \makeatother (which will also be needed around your
table).

\documentclass{minimal}

\makeatletter
\newif\ifus@ \newif\if at cr
[...]

  \box\z@}
\makeatother

\begin{document}

\input tufte

\makeatletter
$$\vbox{\settabs 3\columns
  \+This is&a srange&example \cr
  \+of displayed&three-column&format.\cr}$$
\makeatother

\end{document}

> Thanks for your help.
> The reason to write a booklet in Latex instead of in context was that I
> wanted to use some amstex macro's. Is it possible to use amstex in context
> as well?

What part of amstex?    The math-ams module defines characters, but
I'm not sure
about some of the advanced layout stuff.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia