[NTG-context] luatex and typescripts/fonts

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Wed Aug 29 16:07:49 CEST 2007

Wolfgang, Hans,

thanks a lot for your replies, that was extremely helpful.

On Aug 29, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> one option is to make two versions (name.mkii and name.mkiv) and
> then in
> the name.tex file say \loadmarkfile{name} which will choose the right
> variant then

Ah, so \loadmarkfile is the magic switch. I had the idea to use .mkii
and .mkiv but couldn't figure out how to. Now that's very useful for
all further experiments...

> depends on the way you define things ... maybe the kerning is language
> dependent? kern is a feature
>
> in base mode, we use tex's kerning and ligatures and can only have
> simple replacement, in node mode, mkiv does everything itself

Okay, I tried this minimal definition in my typescript:

\definefontfeature
   [jens]
   [mode=node,kern=yes]

\starttypescript [serif] [jenson]
   \definefontsynonym [Jenson-Roman]          [name:AJensonPro-
Regular]  [features=jens] \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [jenson]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Jenson-Roman] [features=jens]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Jenson]
   \definetypeface [Jenson] [rm] [serif] [jenson] [default]
\stoptypescript

But still no joy: I don't get any kerning. Tried with all sorts of
settings for script= and language=, but to no avail.

Thomas